The Author

The Author
Brian Haggard

My Dyslexia

Having the skill to write, spell, and punctuate has never been my strong suit. Growing up as a young child I was always nurtured to be creative and artistic which came naturally to me but I could never quite grasp written language. I now know that it's a learning disabilty with a name: DYSLEXIA.



I write from the heart and I make my best effort to get the words on the page properly but as you'll see I don't always succeed. I ask you to enjoy what I write and post but to be understanding and kind. Brian

Things you want to know

Followers

Blogs I Follow

Thursday, August 29, 2013

Retreat! Retreat! Retreat!

While your first thought when you hear the word "retreat" might be to turn around and run, we would like to invite you to JOIN us for a great time at The Crazy Haberdasher studio for a instructive but relaxing and fun weekend of crazy-quilting and stitching.

We will be gathering on Friday, November 8th; Saturday, November 9th and Sunday, November 10th and making a one block crazy-quilt featuring silk ribbon embroidery. Don't worry if you're a stitching novice or seasoned with a needle--we'll show you all the steps to get your block pieced and embellished. And, since we strive to make sure that your work shows your personal artistic personality--you get to work at a pace that suits you and make the piece as simple or elaborate as you want.

On Friday night we'll get started at 6 o'clock and begin by machine piecing your block. Once the blocks are pieced, we will put the machines away and start stitching. Class will end at 9, but the studio will be open until about 10 and everyone is welcome to stay and work or just sit and visit.

Saturday morning we'll begin again at 9 and work until 5. You won't need your machines at all--it's a full day of learning stitches and stitch combinations. I will draw personalized motifs on each student's block. We will break for about an hour for lunch mid-day. On Saturday evening, the studio will be open until 10 o'clock. We will go to dinner as a group for anyone who is interested.

Then on Sunday we will start again at 9 and work until noon. I will demonstrate how to finish the piece. Some of you will be ready to finish in class and others will still be stitching--that's just fine--there's no pressure to be at any particular point by the time you leave--it's about learning and enjoying which happens at a different pace for everyone.

The cost of the class and the kit is $195. Your kit will include everything you need to finish the top: a personalized photo transfer, fabric, foundation fabric, silk ribbon, perle cotton, and embellishments. You'll need to bring a sewing machine, neutral thread for the sewing machine, #22 and #24 Chenille needles, scissors, a rotary cutter and mat and rulers for cutting--at least a 12" square and a 24".

If you're joining us from out of town, there are several hotels less than 5 minutes from the studio.

Sign up today at My Store

1 comments:

Unknown said...

The Silk Ribbon Retreat was wonderful. Everyone was most helpful and very welcoming. As always, Brian et all - did a fabulous job. Can't wait for the next event. I'm always ready to learn something new!!
Paula

Post a Comment